BEML: Bharat Earth Movers Limited now known as BEML is an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, with headquarters in Bengaluru. It manufactures a variety of heavy equipment, such as that used for earth moving, transport and mining.BEML incorporated in May 1964 and commenced operations on 1 January 1965. It was wholly owned and operated by India’s Ministry of Defence until 1992 when the government divested 25% of its holdings in the company. BEML is Asia’s second-largest manufacturer of earth moving equipment, and it controls 70% of India’s market in that sector. Its stock trades on the National Stock Exchange of India under the symbol “BEML”, and on the Bombay Stock Exchange under the code “500048”. The company went for Follow-on Public offer (FPO) and fixed the price band for its FPO between Rs. 1,020 and Rs. 1,090.
|Native name||Bharat Earth Movers Limited|
|Type||Public Sector Undertaking|
|Industry||Mining & Construction, Defence, Rail & Metro|
|Key Person||D K Hota, Executive Chairman of the Board, MD, Director – Metro & Rail Business|
Underground mining equipment
High power diesel engines
Heavy duty hydraulic aggregates
|Location||BEML Soudha, No 23/1, IV Main, Sampangiramanagar, Banglore, Karnataka|
|Revenue||29.78 billion(US$440 million)|
|Phone||+91 80 22963240, 22963250|
BEML Limited, a ‘Miniratna-Category-1’, plays a pivotal role and serves India’s core sectors like Defence, Rail, Power, Mining and Infrastructure. The Company started with a modest turnover of Rs.5 Cr during 1965 and today, thanks to its diverse business portfolio, the company has been able to achieve a turnover of more thanRs.3,500 Cr. Its three major Business verticals viz., Mining & Construction, Defence and Rail & Metro are serviced by its nine manufacturing units located at Bangalore, Kolar Gold Fields (KGF), Mysore, Palakkad and Subsidiary – Vignyan Industries Ltd, in Chikmagalur District. BEML’s products are sold and serviced through its large Marketing Network spread all over the Country. BEML’s products are exported to more than 56 countries. As part of company’s globalisation strategy, the company has expanded its global reach by opening local company at Indonesia and Brazil recently in addition to Malaysia and China offices.
The company operates under three major Business verticals – viz. Mining & Construction, Defence and Rail & Metro.
Products: BEML manufactures a wide range of products to meet the needs of Mining, Construction, Power, Irrigation, Fertiliser, Cement, Steel and Rail Sectors. The earthmoving equipment includes Bulldozers, Dump Trucks, Hydraulic Excavators, Wheel Loaders, Rope Shovels, Walking Draglines, Motor Graders and Scrapers.
BEML has recently introduced Road Headers and Slide Discharge Loaders for underground mining applications. Railway products include Integral Railcoaches, Electric Multiple Units, Rail Buses, Track Laying Equipment and Overhead Equipment Inspection Cars. BEML manufactures Heavy Duty Trucks and Trailers and hydraulic aggregates for the transportation sector.
The company also manufactures high power diesel engines and heavy duty hydraulic aggregates to meet specific customer requirements. The company plans to diversify into varied activities including underground mining equipment, underground storage for petroproducts, leasing and financial services and joint ventures abroad.
Major Operations: BEML operates on three major business verticals for associated equipment manufacturing:
- Mining & Construction
- Rail & Metro
Manufacturing units: The company has 9 manufacturing units spread over the following locations:
- Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) Complex (around 100 Km from Bangalore)
- Earth Moving Division
- Rail Coach Unit II
- Heavy Fabrication Unit
- Hydraulic & Powerline Division
- Mysore Complex (around 130 Km from Bangalore)
- Truck Division
- Engine Division
- Bangalore Complex – Rail & Metro Division
- Palakkad Complex
- Vignyan Industries, a subsidiary located at Tarikere (around 300 km from Bangalore) – Steel Castings
- Improve competitiveness through organisational transformation and collaboration / strategic alliances / joint ventures in technology.
- Grow profitably by aggressively pursuing opportunities in national and international markets.
- Attract and build people in a rewarding and inspiring environment by fostering creativity and innovation.
- To maintain a dominant position in design, development, manufacture and marketing of Defence, Earthmoving & Construction and Rail & Metro equipment.
- To diversify and grow.
- To provide total engineering solutions to its customers.
- To internationalise operations by enhancing exports.
- To improve profitability.
- To maintain State-of-the-Art technology for all products.
- Re-orientation of the business operations to match present scenario.
- Continuous building of skills and competencies to bring about Executive Effectiveness for Management Succession.
BEML’s nationwide network of sales offices enables buyers with ready access to its wide range of products. Also, the full-fledged service centres and parts depots offer total equipment care, maintenance contracts and rehabilitation services.