CPCL: Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited (CPCL), formerly known as Madras Refineries Limited (MRL) was formed as a joint venture in 1965 between the Government of India (GOI), AMOCO and National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) having a share holding in the ratio 74%: 13%: 13% respectively. Originally, CPCL Refinery was set up with an installed capacity of 2.5 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MMTPA) in a record time of 27 months at a cost of Rs. 43 crore without any time or cost over run.
|CPCL Fullform||Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd (CPCL)|
|Formerly called||Madras Refineries Limited|
|Industry||Oil and gas|
|Founded||November 18, 1965|
|KeyPerson||B Ashok (Chairman), Gautam Roy (Managing Director)|
|Products||Diesel, Kerosene, LPG, Petrochemicals, Petrol|
|Address||Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited, New No:536, Anna Salai, Teynampet, Chennai 600 018.|
|Contact||Ph : :044-24349519,24349833|
About CPCL: Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited (CPCL), formerly known as Madras Refineries Limited (MRL) was formed as a joint venture in 1965 between the Government of India (GOI), AMOCO and National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) having a share holding in the ratio 74%: 13%: 13% respectively. Originally, CPCL Refinery was set up with an installed capacity of 2.5 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MMTPA) in a record time of 27 months at a cost of Rs. 43 crore without any time or cost over run.
In 1985, AMOCO disinvested in favor of GOI and the shareholding percentage of GOI and NIOC stood revised at 84.62% and 15.38% respectively. Later GOI disinvested 16.92% of the paid-up capital in favor of Unit Trust of India, Mutual Funds, Insurance Companies and Banks on 19th May 1992, thereby reducing its holding to 67.7 %. The public issue of CPCL shares at a premium of Rs. 70 (Rs. 90 to FIIs) in 1994 was over subscribed to an extent of 38 times and added a large shareholder base.
As a part of the restructuring steps taken up by the Government of India, IndianOil acquired equity from GOI in 2000-01. In July 2003, NIOC transferred their entire shareholding to Naftiran Intertrade Company Limited, an affiliate, in line with the Formation Agreement, as part of their organizational restructuring. Currently, IOC holds 51.89% while NICO holds 15.40%.
CPCL has two refineries with a combined refining capacity of 11.5 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MMTPA). The Manali Refinery has a capacity of 10.5 MMTPA and is one of the most complex refineries in India with Fuel, Lube, Wax and Petrochemical feedstocks production facilities. CPCL’s second refinery is located at Cauvery Basin at Nagapattinam. This unit was set up in Nagapattinam with a capacity of 0.5 MMTPA in 1993 and later enhanced to 1.0 MMTPA.
The main products of the company are LPG, Motor Spirit, Superior Kerosene, Aviation Turbine Fuel, High-Speed Diesel, Naphtha, Bitumen, Lube Base Stocks, Paraffin Wax, Fuel Oil, Hexane and Petrochemical feed stocks. The Wax Plant at CPCL has an installed capacity of 30,000 tonnes per annum, which is designed to produce paraffin wax for manufacture of candle wax, waterproof formulations and match wax. A Propylene Plant with a capacity of 17,000 tonnes per annum was commissioned in 1988 to supply petrochemical feedstock to neighboring downstream industries. The unit was revamped to enhance the propylene production capacity to 30,000 tonnes per annum in 2004. CPCL also supplies LABFS to a downstream unit for manufacture of Liner Alkyl Benzene.
The crude throughput for the year 2015-2016 was 9.644 million metric tonnes (MMT).The company’s turnover for the year 2015-16 was Rs 34953 crores and the Profit after Tax was Rs.771 crores.
To be the most admired Indian energy company through world class performance, creating value for stakeholders.
- To manufacture and supply petro products at competitive prices, meeting the quality expectations of the customer.
- To pro-actively fulfill social commitments, including environment and safety.
- To constantly innovate new products and alternate fuels.
- To recognize Human Resources as the most valuable asset and foster a culture of participation for mutual growth.
- To ensure high standards of business ethics and corporate governance.
- To maximize growth, achieve national pre-eminence and maximize stakeholders wealth.
- To maximize the profit and return on capital employed of the company.
- To optimize utilization of the Refining capacity at Manali and at Cauvery Basin, including selection of appropriate Crude mix and production of Value Added products.
- To maximize the yield of distillates in order to improve the Gross Margin.
- To develop energy improvement schemes and reduce energy consumption and losses in the refinery
- To synergise marketing infrastructure, R&D activities, capabilities and strategies with that of IOC to optimize the resources.
- To move towards international standards of excellence in Refinery operations.
- To strengthen information systems and information technology.
- To continue efforts towards safety achievement and environmental protection.
- To ensure execution of projects without time or cost overrun.
- To focus training efforts on team building, leadership, creation of competitive mindset and Refinery economics.
- To maintain reliability of operations at high level.
- To identify new growth areas for diversification.
- To augment infrastructure for crude sourcing and product evacuation.
- To address the needs and issues of the society and the community around through Social and Community Initiatives
- To achieve sustainable development through proactive Environmental Management practices.
- Manali Refinery
- Cauvery Basin Refinery
- No harm to any human being
- No harm to environment & ecological system
CPCL firmly believes that a sound SHE management system will ensure (i) improved employee morale,(ii) Nil lost time, and therefore SHE management has been a part of CPCL’s daily business.
This is being practiced in CPCL due to a strong commitment from top management to personnel at all levels by combining SHE standards with performance standards & imparting continuous training on SHE issues at all possible ways for all personnel entering the premises of CPCL namely employees, contractors, security personnel including drivers of material supplies etc.,
The level of implementation of SHE management system is judged by (i) statistical reports,(ii) Opinion surveys, (iii) risk analysis (iv) periodic inspections and (v) process improvement initiatives (vi) Master Health Check up for employees (vii) Environmental Quality Analysis
Occupational Health Services: Occupational Health Services (OHS) Centre located in the Refinery premises, is well equipped for immediate medical treatment during emergencies. CPCL’s OHS Centre is the first amongst Oil Industries to be set up and this is a Resource Centre providing professional and technical assistance to other industries. The OHS Centre is manned round the clock and is equipped with ambulances and beds.
Engineer – Graduate – Posted Date 10-Aug-2017
Details regarding Engineer job post at CPCL
Important Dates for Engineer at CPCL
Click here for more engineering Jobs
Human Resource Officer – Post Graduate – Posted Date 10-Aug-2017
Details regarding Human Resource Officer job post at CPCL
Important Dates for Human Resource Officer at CPCL
Click here for more engineering Jobs