About HCRAJ: The State of Rajasthan was formed during the period March 17 1948 and January 25 1950 by integration of 19 Princely States. The Union of Rajasthan was inaugurated at Jaipur by Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on March 30, 1949. At that time Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Bikaner and Kota were the leading states with more or less British style of Administrative set up. They had their own High Courts with a subordinate judicial system. Before inauguration of the new State, a committee consisting of Shri B.R.Patel, the then Chief Secretary to the Government of PEPSU, Lt. Col. T.C.Puri, Director of Health Service and Shri S.P.Sinha, Superintending Engineer, CPWD, was constituted to resolve the issues relating to location of the capital and the seat of the High Court. The committee submitted its report on March 27 1949 with a recommendation that Jaipur should be made capital of the new State and the High Court should be located at Jodhpur. In the newly created State, five High Courts were functioning at Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Udaipur (being capital of United Rajasthan with a bench at Kota) and Alwar (being capital of Matsya State) with a total strength of 20 judges.
|HCRAJ Fullform||Rajasthan High Court|
|Location||Jodhpur, Rajasthan (Principal Seat), Jaipur (circuit bench)|
|Composition method||constitution of India|
|Decisions are appealed to||Supreme Court of India|
|Chief Justice||Navin Sinha|
|Phone||2545516, 2545116, 2544337, 2541338, 2541339, 2544545, 2544357|
There were five High Courts functioning in the various units of the States – at Jodhpur, Jaipur and Bikaner, the High Courts of former Rajasthan and Matsya Union, before unification of the Rajasthan. The Rajasthan High Court Ordinance, 1949 abolished these different jurisdictions and provided for a single High Court for the entire State. The High Court of Rajasthan was founded in 1949 at Jodhpur, and was inaugurated by the Rajpramukh, Maharaja Sawai Man Singh on 29 August 1949.
The Rajasthan High Court Ordinance, 1949 abolished these different jurisdictions and provided for a single High Court for the entire State. Section 10(1) of the Ordinance laid down that “the High Court shall sit at Jodhpur and such other place or places, if any, as the Rajpramukh may from time to time appoint either permanently or for a specified period”. Sub-section (2) of Section 10 empowered the Chief Justice to nominate one or more of such judges of the High Court to sit at such place or places as he may direct. In exercise of powers under sub-section(3) of Section 1, the Rajpramukh of the State issued a notification on August 25 1949 fixing the 29th day of August 1949 as the date for inauguration of the High Court of Judicature for Rajasthan at Jodhpur. On the same day the Rajpramukh exercising the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of Section 10 of the Ordinance directed that until further orders the High Court of Judicature for Rajasthan shall also sit simultaneously (1) at Jaipur to dispose of the work arising in the Jaipur and Kota divisions and (2) at Udaipur to dispose of the work arising in Udaipur division.
The High Court was duly inaugurated on August 29, 1949. In an impressive function, presided by Rajpramukh His Highness Maharaja Sawai Man Singh, oath was administered to Hon’ble Justice Kamal Kant Verma (former Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court and former Chief Justice of Udaipur High Court) as Chief Justice alongwith 11 other judges. These 11 judges represented most of the princely States. Justice Lala Nawal Kishore and Justice Kunwar Amar Singh Jasol were from Jodhpur, Justice Kanwar Lal Bapna and Justice Mohd. Ibrahim were from Jaipur, Justice Jawan Singh Ranawat and Justice Sardul Singh Mehta were from Udaipur, Justice Durga Shankar Dave was from Bundi, Justice Trilochan Dutt was from Bikaner, Justice Anand Narain Kaul was from Alwar, Justice K.K.Sharma was from Bharatpur and Justice Kshemchand Gupta was from Kota.
On September 3, 1949 in modification of the previous notification dated August 25, 1949, the Rajpramukh issued a further notification directing that the High Court of Judicature for Rajasthan shall also sit simultaneously at Bikaner and Kota to dispose of the cases pending before Bikaner High Court and Kota bench of the High Court of the Former United Rajasthan respectively. Under this notification no authority was given to entertain new cases other than the applications for revision or readmission.
On 26th day of January, 1950 the Constitution of India was enforced wherein Rajasthan became a Part “B” State. The strength of High Court judges for “B” category was reduced and it was mandated that the judges must conform to the eligibility provided under the Constitution of India. As a consequence, some of the judges including Chief Justice Kamal Kant Verma had to lay down their office. Against the vacancies caused by retirement of Justice Nawal Kishore and Justice Mohd. Ibrahim, two eminent lawyers viz. Shri Indernath Modi and Shri D.M.Bhandari were elevated to the bench.
On May 8, 1950 the Rajpramukh issued a notification under Section 10 of the Ordinance directing that the High Court of Judicature for Rajasthan shall, from 22nd day of May, 1950 cease to sit at Bikaner, Kota and Udaipur. Although the benches at Bikaner, Kota and Udaipur were abolished, the Jaipur bench was allowed to continue to function with jurisdiction over Jaipur and Kota divisions.The Rajasthan High Court is presently having sanctioned strength of 50 judges. A new building of the High Court has already been constructed at Jaipur and the construction work for a new majestic building for High Court at Jodhpur is in progress.