About ICSI: The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is a statutory professional body in India with the objects of promoting, regulating and developing the profession of company secretaries in India. It is headquartered in New Delhi and has four regional offices at New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, and Mumbai, and has 69 chapters around the country.
|Formation||October 28, 1968|
|Legal status||Statutory body under an act of Parliament i.e., the Company Secretaries Act, 1980 (Act No. 56 of 1980).|
|Objective||Regulate the profession of company secretaries and secretarial audit in India|
|Headquarters||22, ICSI HOUSE, Lodhi Road, Institutional Area, Lodhi Colony, new Delhi 110003 , India|
|Key Person||CS (Dr) Shyam Agrawal(President), CS Makarand Lele (Vice President)|
|Regional Office||New Delhi (NIRC), Mumbai (WIRC), Kolkata (EIRC), Chennai (SIRC)|
|Contact||Ph : 011-3313 2333, 6620 4999|
A person is eligible to apply for membership by passing all three levels of examinations prescribed by ICSI and completing a period of practical training. The Institute of Company Secretaries of India(ICSI) is constituted under an Act of Parliament i.e. the Company Secretaries Act, 1980 (Act No. 56 of 1980). ICSI is the only recognized professional body in India to develop and regulate the profession of Company Secretaries in India.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India awards the certificate of bestowing the designation of Company Secretary(CS) to a candidate qualifying for the membership of the Institute. It was in 1960 that the Company Law Board started a course in Company Secretaryship leading to the award of Government Diploma in Company Secretaryship. As the number of students taking up the Company Secretaryship course grew, the Government promoted on 4th October 1968, Institute of Company Secretaries of India under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 for taking over from the Government the conduct of Company Secretaryship examination.The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has since been converted into a statutory body w.e.f. 1.1.1981 under the Company Secretaries Act, 1980.
CORPORATE RESEARCH SERVICES
As a part of its ongoing activity in conducting sponsored studies on various topics, ICSI-CCGRT completed the assignment from Indian Institute of Bankers (IIB) for preparation of study material on “Operations and Regulation of Capital Markets”. The study kit has been well appreciated.
ICSI-CCGRT conducted a study on behalf of State Bank of India (SBI) on “Recovery Experiences in respect of Personal Segment Advances” covering 40 of their branches all over India. The report has been submitted to SBI.Based on a proposal submitted to National Stock Exchange (NSE) under NSE’s Research Initiative, on “Corporate Social Responsibilities Initiatives by NSE NIFTY Companies – Content, Implementation Strategies & Impact”, a study has been undertaken by CCGRT.
During December 2002, Director-Research, CCGRT was invited to attend as rapporteur at the National Workshop on Micro Finance at Indian School of Business, Hyderabad. The workshop was sponsored and organized by SIDBI.During the year, 6 summer trainees from reputed management institutes did project work under the guidance ofCCGRT faculty.
CORPORATE TRAINING FACILITIES
A new activity has been added to CCGRT’s training initiatives for the students through Residential Secretarial Modular Training Programme. During the year, 4 such programs were organized at CCGRT and the response to the programs has been very good. Participants from all over India, mainly from non-metro centers took advantage of these programs and got opportunity for interaction with expert professional faculty. In addition to the core subjects of a normal SMTP program, the participants were exposed to topics on general management, human relations, financial markets, etc. at the pre-dinner sessions. They also had the benefit of yoga and meditation sessions in the morning from professional trainers.
ICSI-CCGRT also organized a Residential Joint Training Programme with the Western India Regional Council on WTO and IPR from 25th to 27th July 2002.As a part of ongoing training activities in areas other than core subjects, CCGRT scheduled a series of one-day workshops on Management and HR for junior executives and company secretaries/ students. These included workshops on “Managing the Front Office” and “Understanding People for Better CRM”.
CCGRT organized a program entitled “Grooming for Success” during the year for members and students at Head Office and various Chapters.A two weeks training program was organized for Indian Company Law Services (ICLS) Junior Officers. This is the first time that such a program has been held at CCGRT and more such programs are likely in future. Immediately after the Union Budget 2003-04, a panel discussion on the Budget was organized.
- To develop professional capability and career prospects of the Company Secretaries and other corporate professionals.
- To serve as a center of Corporate Excellence for Corporate Governance and Business Ethics, Corporate Research and Corporate higher learning by harnessing all available resources, national and international.
- To promote original and contemporary applied research, higher learning and conduct training programs (residential and non-residential) in various streams of corporate sector through modern and advanced methodology.
- To enter into collaboration/arrangements with foreign institution in the field of research and training and to facilitate exchange of skills, knowledge, and database including faculty exchange programs with national and international bodies and other research institutions.
- To publish research papers, literature or publications including research bulletins, periodicals and consultative papers on any new legislation in areas of Corporate Laws, Finance, and Capital Markets, etc to act as a Think Tank for Government, regulatory bodies and trade and industry on assignment basis.
- To act as In-House consultants to ICSI on Human Resources and relates areas.
- To provide professional consultancy of higher order employing contemporary methods and practices, and undertake corporate diagnostic studies, field surveys and database services.
ICSI-CCRT is equipped with state of art training and research relates facilities, a pleasant environ and world class physical infrastructure facilities and is ideally located. It is in the heart of Navi Mumbai, the city of 21 century, surrounded by rich, natural landscape and flanked by some of the ultra modern architectural edifices. The center is away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis, yet close enough to the city. A walkable distance from CBDBelapur Railway Station and CBD Bus Terminus.