PhD Program offered in,
Engineering, Science, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences.
Departments & Areas of Research
Biotechnology and Medical Engineering: Medical Electronics & Instrumentation, Biomaterials & Tissue Engineering, Cell & Molecular Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering, Agriculture & Environmental Engineering, Biomechanics & Bio-transport.
Civil Engineering: Geotechnical Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Structural Engineering.
Chemical Engineering: All the conventional areas under Chemical Engineering, Energy & Environmental Engineering, Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering, Nano Science & Technology, Smart Materials and Sensing, Mathematical Applications & Analysis in Engineering, Data Based Process Design and Analysis (Analytics).
Ceramic Engineering: Electro-ceramics, Ceramics in Energy Sector, Structural/Functional Materials, Nanomaterials, Biomaterials, Design & Failure Analysis of Ceramics.
Computer Science & Engineering: All specializations of Computer Science & Engineering.
Chemistry: Inorganic, Organic, Physical, Materials, BioInorganic, Organometallic, Biophysical Chemistry, Nano Science, Environmental, Computational and Theoretical Chemistry, Solid State, Biochemistry.
Electronics & Communication Engineering: RF, Microwave & Antenna, VLSI & Embedded Systems, Signal & Image Processing, Instrumentation & Control, Microwave & Radar Engineering, Wireless Communication, Analog IC Design, Sensor Interfacing Circuits, Biomedical Circuits & Instrumentation. Electrical Engineering: Power System Engineering, Power Electronics & Drives, Control and Automation, Electronics Systems and Communication, Energy Science, Computer Science Engineering, Nanotechnology.
Earth and Atmospheric Science: Geology, Geophysics, Atmospheric & Ocean Sciences.
Food Process Engineering: Transport Process and Kinetics, Food Quality & Safety, Post-Harvest Operations, Food Packaging and Storage Engineering, Product Development and Ingredients Innovation.
Humanities & Social Sciences: Economics, English, Sociology/Anthropology, Psychology, Sanskrit, Developmental Studies.
Industrial Design: Product Design, Ergonomics Design, Manufacturing, Vibration, Noise Control, Meta-material, Acoustics, CAD, Human Simulation, Bio-Mechanics, Occupational Health & Safety, Human Factors, Geometric Modelling.
Life Science: All areas of Biological Science/Life Science. Mathematics: Numerical Analysis, Algebra, Number Theory, Fluid Dynamics, Differential Equation, Stochastic Process, Statistics, Functional Analysis.
Mechanical Engineering: Mechanical, Machine Design, Production/ Thermal, Cryogenic, Mechatronics, Robotics, Mechanical Vibrations, Automobile, Manufacturing, Industrial Management, Aerospace, Aeronautical Engineering, Composites, Tribology, Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer
Metallurgical & Materials: Engineering MM Physical Metallurgy & Nano-materials.
Mining Engineering: All specialization of Mining Engineering.
Planning and Architecture: Urban & Regional Planning, Housing, Urban Design, Neighborhood Planning.
Physics and Astronomy: Astro-physics, Semiconductor, Soft Matter, Condensed Matter (Theory), High Energy Physics (Theory).
School of Management: SM HR, Marketing, Operations Management & Finance.
The minimum qualification required for admission to PhD programs in Engineering, Science, Planning & Architecture, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences is one of the following:
- M.E./M. Tech./M. Pharm in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks or 1st class in both B. Tech. (or M.Sc./B. Pharm/ MCA or equivalent) and M. Tech. levels from a recognized Technical Institute or University.
- B.E./B. Tech./B. Pharm/MCA or equivalent in relevant discipline with CGPA of 7.0 or 65 percent marks.
- M.Sc. in Basic Sciences with CGPA 7.0 or 65 percent marks in relevant disciplines. For applicants with valid GATE/NET/GPAT score, requirement may be relaxed up to 0.5 CGPA or 5% marks.
- M.B.B.S./B. V. Sc. with CGPA 6.5 or 60 percent marks or 1st class.
Further, candidates having the following qualification can also apply for PhD in Management and Humanities & Social Sciences:
MA/ MBA / M.Com. / M. Sc. in Humanities and Social Sciences or Management with 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks or 1st class.
In addition to the above eligibility criteria (based on B. Tech., M.Sc., MBA, MA, M. Com., M. Tech., and M. Pharm., etc. examinations), the following additional criteria will also be applicable:-
- A candidate should score minimum 60% marks or 6.5/10 CGPA or 1st class throughout career to be eligible for admission to Ph. D program. The DRC, however, may make one exception (marks <60% or Grade < 6.5/10) at its discretion from among the results of 10th, +2, BA, B.Sc., Diploma etc. (except qualifying degree) if the candidate has qualified GATE/NET/GPAT or other national level fellowship tests like DST-INSPIRE, RGNF etc.
- For admission to Engineering and Science disciplines (except Life Science), a candidate should have passed Mathematics in +2 Science.
- Science students admitted to Ph. D program in Engineering need Mathematics in +3 level. Students without Mathematics in +3 level may be admitted under the condition that they will have to register for 16 credits of 100 and 200 level. Mathematics and 100 level Computer Science courses (Theory and Practical) in addition to their normal course requirement, and secure at least C grade in each course.
- A student should have passed Life Science or Biological Science either in +2 or +3 level for admission to Ph. D in Life Science department.
- Students without adequate background in the primary discipline will be required to have 10% extra marks (1.0 CGPA) to qualify over students with specialization in a primary discipline, unless explicitly exempted by the Senate.
- Institute Fellowships are available to the PhD students of all the departments. Prevailing rate of fellowship is given in the following table, which is likely to be revised upward:
- PhD Eligibility: M. Tech. / M. Pharm / M. Arch. / M. Des. / MD / MS / MDS / M. V. Sc. (or) B. Tech. / B. Arch. / B. Des. / B. Pharm. / MBBS / B. V. Sc. / BDS /M.Sc. / MA / M.Com / MBA / MCA with a valid GATE/ NET/GPAT score.
How to apply:
- Interested candidates may submit their online application at http://eapplication.nitrkl.ac.in .
- Fill up and submit the online application form accordingly, and Prepare Demand Draft / Banker’s Cheque drawn in favor of “Director, NIT Rourkela” and payable in any bank in Rourkela for application fee of Rs.500/-. Payment through the online application portal is not available currently. Please fill up details of DD in the application form while submitting.
- Take print-out of the online application form and send the same along-with the DD/BC by Regd./Speed Post [not by hand or courier] to the following address. Write “your name and Application ID” on the backside of the DD/BC and “Application for PhD” on the envelope for proper identification
- Address – Asst. Registrar [Academic] National Institute of Technology Rourkela – 769 008 [Odisha]
- Sponsored candidates are required to submit the scanned copy of the sponsorship certificate while submitting online application.
- Applicants are NOT required to send any other document except print out of the application form and DD/BC (original).
- Last date: 08th December, 2019.
- Receipt of Print-out and DD/BC by post: 16th December, 2019.
- Publication of result of scrutiny in the website (announcement section): 20th December, 2019.
- Test and/ Interview (Venue – NIT, Rourkela): 24th December, 2019.
- Publication of result of Interview in the website: 30th December, 2019.
- Admission (Physical presence of candidate is required): 06th January, 2020.
- Semester Registration: 08th January, 2020.
- Starting of Class / Research work: 09th January, 2020.
For more details, please visit, Email: [email protected] , Website www.nitrkl.ac.in or https://www.nitrkl.ac.in/docs/Announcement/22112019181806527.pdf