Prasar Bharti: Prasar Bharati is a statutory autonomous body established under the Prasar Bharati Act and came into existence on 23.11.1997. It is the Public Service Broadcaster of the country. The objectives of public service broadcasting are achieved in terms of Prasar Bharati Act through All India Radio and Doordarshan, which earlier were working as media units under the Ministry of I&B and since the above said date became constituents of Prasar Bharati.
|Formed||23 November 1997|
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Agency executives||Dr. A. Surya Prakash, Chairman, Shri Rajeev Singh, CEO|
|Child agencies||Akashvani (Radio Broadcasting Service), Doordarshan(Television Broadcasting Service)|
|Address||Prasar Bharati Secretariat, Prasar Bharati House, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi – 110001.|
MISSION & OBJECTIVES: The major objectives of the Prasar Bharati Corporation as laid out in the Prasar Bharati Act, 1990 are as follows:
- To uphold the unity and integrity of the country and the values enshrined in the Constitution;
- To promote national integration;
- To safeguard citizens’ rights to be informed on all matters of public interest by presenting a fair and balanced flow of information;
- To pay special attention to the fields of education and spread of literacy, agriculture, rural development, environment, health & family welfare and science & technology;
- To create awareness about women’s issues and take special steps to protect the interests of children, aged and other vulnerable sections of the society;
- To provide adequate coverage to diverse cultures, sports and games and youth affairs;
- To promote social justice, safeguarding the rights of working classes, minorities, and tribal communities.
- To promote research and expand broadcasting faculties & development in broadcast technology.
Prasar Bharti Board: The Corporation is governed by the Prasar Bharati Board, which comprises a Chairman, an Executive Member (Chief Executive Officer), a Member (Finance), a Member (Personnel), six Part-time Members, a representative of the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting and the Directors General of All India Radio and Doordarshan as ex-officio Members. The Chairman is a part-time member with a 3-year tenure, subject to the age limit of 70 years. The Executive Member has a tenure of five years, subject to the age limit of 65 years. Member (Finance) and Member (Personnel) are whole time members with a six-year tenure, subject to the age limit of 62 years.The Prasar Bharati Board meets at least 6 times in a year and between the two meetings, there should not be a time gap of 3 months or more.
Preliminary: Short title, extent, and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Prasar Bharati (Broadcasting Corporation of India) Act, 1990.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint.
Definitions.: In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,
- “Akashvani” means the offices, stations and other establishments, by whatever name called, which, immediately before the appointed day, formed part of or were under the Director-General, All India Radio of the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting;
- “appointed day” means the date appointed under section 3;
- “broadcasting” means the dissemination of any form of communication like signs, signals, writing, pictures, images and sounds of all kinds by transmission of electromagnetic waves through space or through cables intended to be received by the general public either directly or indirectly through the medium of relay stations and all its grammatical variations and cognate expression shall be construed accordingly;
- “Board” means the Prasar Bharati Board;
- “Broadcasting Council” means the Council established under section 14;
- “Chairman” means the Chairman of the Corporation appointed under section 4;
- “Corporation” means the Prasar Bharati (Broadcasting Corporation of India) established under section 3;
- “Doordarshan” means the offices, Kendra’s and other establishments, by whatever name called, which, immediately before the appointed day, formed part of or were under the Directorate-General, Doordarshan of the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting;
- “elected Member” means a Member elected under section 3;
- “Executive Member” means the Executive Member appointed under section 4;
- “Kendra” means any telecasting center with studios or transmitters or both and includes a relay station;
- “Member” means a Member of the Board;
- “Member (Finance)” means the Member (Finance) appointed under section 4;
- “Member (Personnel)” means the Member (Personnel) appointed under section 4;
- “Nominated Member” means the Member nominated by the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting under section 3;
- “Non-lapsable Fund” means the Fund created from the commercial revenues of Akashvani and Doordarshan to meet expenditure on certain schemes;
- “notification” means notifications published in the official Gazette;
- “Part-time Member” means a Part-time Member of the Board appointed under section 4, but does not include an ex-officio Member, the Nominated Member or an elected Member;
- “prescribed” means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
- “Recruitment Board” means a board established under sub-section (I) of section 10;
- “regulations” means regulations made by the Corporation under this Act;
- “station” means any broadcasting station with studios or transmitters or both and includes a relay station;
- “Whole-time Member” means the Executive Member, Member (Finance) or Member (Personnel);
- “year” means the financial year.
Establishment and composition of Corporation:
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may by notification appoint in this behalf, there shall be established for the purposes of this Act a Corporation, to be known as the Prasar Bharati (Broadcasting Corporation of India).
(2) The Corporation shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
(3) The headquarters of the Corporation shall be at New Delhi and the Corporation may establish offices, kendras or stations at other places in India and, with the previous approval of the Central Government, outside India.
(4) The general superintendence, direction, and management of the affairs of the Corporation shall vest in the Prasar Bharati Board which may exercise all such powers and do all such acts and things as may be exercised or done by the Corporation under this Act.
(5) The Board shall consist of:
- a) a Chairman;
- b) one Executive Member;
- c) one Member (Finance);
- d) one Member (Personnel);
- e) six Part-time Members;
- f) Director-General (Akashvani), ex-officio;
- g) Director-General (Doordarshan), ex-officio;
- h) one representative of the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, to be nominated by that Ministry; and
- i) two representatives of the employees of the Corporation, of whom one shall be elected by the engineering staff from amongst themselves and one shall be elected by the other employee from amongst themselves.
(6) The Corporation may appoint such committees as may be necessary for the efficient performance, exercise and discharge of its functions, powers, and duties:
Provided that all or a majority of the members of each committee shall be Members and a member of any such committee who is not a Member shall have only the right to attend meetings of the committee and take part in the proceedings thereof, but shall not have the right to vote.
(7) The Corporation may associate with itself, in such manner and for such purposes as may be provided by regulations, any person whose assistance or advice it may need in complying with any of the provisions of this Act and a person so associated shall have the right to take part in the discussions of the Board relevant to the purposes for which he has been associated, but shall not have the right to vote.
(8) No act or proceeding of the Board or of any committee appointed by it under sub-section (6) shall be invalidated merely by reason of —
- any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board or such committee; or
- any defect in the appointment of a person acting as a Member or a member of such committee; or
- any irregularity in the procedure of the Board or such committee not affecting the merits of the case.