Bollywood’s original superstar Rajesh Khanna introduced Bollywood to fan mania. Known for his typical mannerisms, Rajesh — born Jatin Khanna — appeared in more than 160 feature films and 17 short films. The highest paid Indian actor from 1970 to 1987, he gave 15 hits back-to-back.
On his fifth death anniversary, we bring you 10 facts about the first superstar which only Kaka’s — as he was called fondly — die-hard fans will know.
1. Actor Rajendra Kumar sold his bungalow ‘Dimple’ to Rajesh Khanna. The house had proved unlucky for Rajendra but Rajesh renamed it Aashirwaad and went on to deliver 15 hits in a row while living there. He also married Dimple some time later!
2. Even as a struggling actor, Rajesh Khanna used to drive a MG sports car.
3. Rajesh Khanna was interested in astrology. He could discuss horoscopes for hours.
4. Rajesh Khanna studied the horoscope of his grandson Aarav, Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna’s son, and predicted he would be a Bollywood superstar.
5. The actor was also a great cook. His friends used to love the dal cooked at his home if Rajesh would give tadka to it.
6. Rajesh Khanna’s best friends in the industry were Kishore Kumar and RD Burman.
7. Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz never gave a flop together.
8. Hema Malini and Rajesh Khanna appeared in the maximum number of films (15) together.
9. Rajesh Khanna’s Aakhri Khat was India’s entry to Oscars but didn’t make it to final five.
10. Rajesh Khanna was very fond of son-in-law Akshay Kumar and would call him Buddy.