Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is a National Centre of the Government of India, under the umbrella of the Department of Atomic Energy, as well as a deemed University awarding degrees for masters and doctoral programs. The Institute was founded in 1945 with support from the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust under the vision of Dr. Homi Bhabha. At TIFR, we carry out basic research in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, computer science and science education. Our main campus is located in Mumbai, with centers at Pune, Bangalore, and Hyderabad. TIFR is one of the best organisation to work for as it keeps its employees very satisfied and their job is secured and are paid handsome salary.
|TIFR Fullform||Tata Institute of Fundamental Research|
|Established||1 June 1945|
|KeyPerson||Sandip Trivedi (Director)|
|Address||Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Navy Nagar, Colaba, Mumbai 400005, INDIA|
The Vision: “It is the duty of people like us to stay in our own country and build up outstanding schools of research such as some other countries are fortunate to possess.” This was the vision that guided the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research which Homi Bhabha founded. The Institute was founded on 1st June 1945 with support from the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust. The Institute first began functioning within the Cosmic Ray Research Unit on the campus of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and moved to Bombay in October that year.
A film on Dr. Homi Bhabha made by TIFR Archives ( 2 parts)
Part 1 –
Part 2 –
From Kenilworth to Colaba: In Bombay, the Institute was housed at Kenilworth, a bungalow on Pedder Road. It was inaugurated by Sir John Colville, Governor of Bombay on 19th December 1945. In 1949, as the Institute grew, it found its second home at the Old Yacht Club Building (former home of Royal Bombay Yacht Club) near Gateway of India. The Cosmic Ray Group was the first to start functioning. The Nuclear Emulsion and the Electron Magnetism Group started in 1953. Work in Computer Science and Technology in 1954, and the first pilot machine became operational in 1956. The full-scale machine, later named the TIFRAC was commissioned in February 1960.
The foundation stone of the main building at the Colaba campus was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1954. This constitutes the Institute’s main campus at present. The modern building on the seafront with gardens, lawns and a seaside promenade was designed by the Chicago architect, Helmuth Bartsch. The building was inaugurated by Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on 15 January 1962.
The Tripartite Agreement: In 1955-56 the Tripartite Agreement between the Government of India, Government of Bombay and the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust came into force at the Institute. The Tripartite Agreement envisaged extensive financial support from the Government of India and correspondingly a greater and more permanent representative for it on the Council of Management. Today, more than 99% of the expenditure of the Institute is borne by the Government of India. The Institute comes under the purview of the Department of Atomic Energy through which all grants are channelled.
Expansion of the Institute: In the 1960s the Institute expanded to start a Molecular Biology Group and a Radio Astronomy Group. A low-temperature facility and a semiconductor group started around the same time. In 1964 a Basic Dental Research Group started which has since discontinued. The 1970s saw the Institute expand to include Theoretical Astrophysics and the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education. Over the next two decades the Institute further expanded by founding new national centers: The National Centre for Radio Astrophysics in Pune, The Centre for Applicable Mathematics in Bangalore, The National Centre for Biological Sciences in Bangalore. The latest in such efforts has been the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences which was founded in 2007. The work of the Institute is now carried out in three Schools: the School of Mathematics, the School of Natural Sciences and the School of Technology and Computer Sciences. The Institute was granted the status of a deemed university in 2003.
Directors: In 1966, Homi Bhabha, the founder Director of the Institute died in an air crash. After him, Professor M.G.K Menon became the Director of the Institute. He was succeeded by Professor B.V. Sreekantan in 1975. Professor Virendra Singh became Director in 1987, followed by Professor S.S. Jha in 1997. Professor S. Bhattacharya became the Director in 2002 followed by Professor M. Barma in 2007. The present Director is Professor Sandip P. Trivedi.
About the TIFR Logo:
The new TIFR logo is minimalist and modern. It admits a variety of interpretations. Three tapering bands curve clockwise and enclose a solid circle. The eye is led to imagine an enclosing rectangle. The logo admits a variety of interpretations, some mundane, others perhaps fanciful. Waves rise up out of the sea and sweep dramatically upward to the sun, representing soaring aspiration while highlighting the sea-face location of TIFR’s main campus. But the circle could also represent the moon of truth, or the earth raised up on the swell of scientific knowledge. In a mathematical perspective, the bands pass tangentially to a perfect geometrical figure and perhaps converge at infinity. In a physical view, the logo may represent wave-particle duality. Equally, it may suggest quantum levels in chemistry, or planetary orbits in astronomy, or flagella in biology. Or it can depict the three schools of TIFR – Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology and Computer Science, merging into a common entity. But any of these would only be a possible interpretation.
Objectives: To promote flexible funding of new initiatives at the Institute in research activities at the forefront of Science, Technology, and Mathematics, there is a pressing need to create a substantial corpus. The TIFR Council of Management has approved the establishment of a general purpose Endowment Fund for this purpose. Such a Fund could serve to promote extended visits of young and distinguished scientists from different institutions in the country and abroad for collaborative research. The Endowment fund collected will also be able to strengthen the other activities of promoting academic excellence at the Institute which includes financial support in the form of augmented research scholarships and additional funding to exceptionally talented and highly motivated young students and scientists who would wish to join the Institute for their doctoral and post-doctoral research.
Sir Dorarbji Tata Trust made a firm beginning of this Endowment activities by donating rupees one crore towards Chair Professorships and Archives, during the Golden Jubilee celebrations (1995-96) of the Institute.
Affiliated research institutes: TIFR also includes institutes outside its main campus in Colaba and Mumbai:
- Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education at Deonar, Mumbai
- International Centre for Theoretical Sciences at Bangalore
- National Centre for Biological Sciences at Bangalore (NCBS)
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics at Pune (NCRA)
- National Balloon Facility at Hyderabad
- TIFR Centre for Applicable Mathematics, Bangalore for Mathematics
- TIFR Hyderabad
Program Associate – Post Graduate – NCBS – Posted Date 17-Aug-2017
Details regarding Program Associate job post at NCBS
Important Dates for Program Associate at NCBS
Click here for more engineering Jobs